I love taking the Christmas decorations down as much, if not more than, putting them up. Even though January often feels like the beginning of winter here rather than the middle, when temperatures drop to levels that make it difficult to do anything that isn't cowering under the sofa duvet next to the fire some days, it's an exciting time for me. Firstly, the prospect of not having any more visitors or large family events for a while is a blessed relief. Secondly, after a couple of months of respite from gardening I feel keen to start again, to start bringing all the plans I've made to fruition.
There is plenty to do outside in the garden at this time of year - fertilising the veg beds with seaweed, clearing last year's dead growth from the flower bed, pruning and tidying and putting in place the cat deterrents to stop them using the beds as litter boxes (a new threat this year I wasn't anticipating). My January garden really starts, however, not in the frozen solid soil beyond the back door but on the living room windowsill, now cleared of all decorations and last year's brown and woody basil.
This south-west facing window is where I start most of my seeds, giving them the benefit of both the bright light and the warmth of the fire in this room. Right now, in early January, is the only time in the whole year it sits clear of propagators, seedlings, indoor herbs, and I enjoy seeing it that way and anticipating what is soon to begin.
It's almost time to start my chilli and pepper seeds, but I am waiting for the 1st quarter of the moon cycle which starts on the 10th. My mother-in-law has bought me an Almanac for 2022 and I am hoping to use its information about 'gardening by the moon' this year to see if it has any beneficial effect on my crops. Even if I don't notice anything, I like the idea of working with the rhythms of the earth and sky.
A new year. The garlic I was worried hadn't taken is coming up (what hasn't been eaten by mice anyway!) and my bulbs are starting to poke their heads above ground. There is still frost and snow and wind and rain to come, but the work has started again.
No comments:
Post a Comment