Drawing down energy
I found myself suddenly driven to get a rhubarb in the garden, and it turned out that according to the almanac we were in the ideal phase for planting things that develop below ground. Perhaps I'm already tuning in to the moon gardening cycle.
I associate rhubarb with my childhood because my grandparents always had a big rhubarb patch in their garden and rhubarb crumble was a regular feature. Also, with little ones to manage, the appeal of unfussy perennial crops is significant. So, I spent two days clearing a huge unruly dog rose, weeding and mulching the flower bed, then went over to the garden centre and got a rhubarb crown. It looks like nothing much at all right now, just a little nose poking out of the soil, but I'm aware that the flower bed may become the rhubarb bed before we know it.
When the weather is nice at this time of year I grab the opportunity to work in the garden, knowing that the cold will return with a vengeance several times over before spring arrives. So as well as tidying the flower bed I also got on with finishing the beautiful herb spiral my husband built at the end of last year. It has been a little ambition of his to make a herb spiral for a few years and the result is so lovely. I dug it over, topped it up with compost, and put in some little wooden steps before we planted in the few herbs that have been sitting out in pots: rosemary, lavender, chives, and golden marjoram. Those poor little pot-bound herbs, it was so good to see them go into the ground where they can spread their roots out! I'm so looking forward to planting it up even more as the year goes on.
No comments:
Post a Comment